THE MILLION COPY BESTSELLER
BOOK OF THE YEAR AT THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
'Painfully funny. The pain and the funniness somehow add up to something entirely good, entirely noble and entirely loveable.' - Stephen Fry
Welcome to the life of a junior doctor: 97-hour weeks, life and death decisions, a constant tsunami of bodily fluids, and the hospital parking meter earns more than you.
Scribbled in secret after endless days, sleepless nights and missed weekends, Adam Kay's This is Going to Hurt provides a no-holds-barred account of his time on the NHS front line. Hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking, this diary is everything you wanted to know - and more than a few things you didn't - about life on and off the hospital ward.
Sunday Times Number One Bestseller for over eight months and winner of a record FOUR National Book Awards: Book of the Year, Non-Fiction Book of the Year, New Writer of the Year and Zoe Ball Book Club Book of the Year.
This edition includes extra diary entries and a new afterword by the author.
- Introduction - i: Introduction
- Chapter - 1: House Officer
- Chapter - 2: Senior House Officer Post 1
- Chapter - 3: Senior House Officer Post 2
- Chapter - 4: Senior House Officer Post 3
- Chapter - 5: Registrar Post 1
- Chapter - 6: Registrar Post 2
- Chapter - 7: Registrar Post 3
- Chapter - 8: Registrar Post 4
- Chapter - 9: Senior Registrar
- Chapter - 10: Aftermath
- Section - ii: An Open Letter to the Secretary of State for Health
- Acknowledgements - iii: Acknowledgements