'Painfully funny. The pain and the funniness somehow add up to something entirely good, entirely noble and entirely loveable.' - Stephen Fry
Winner of the Books Are My Bag Non-Fiction Book of the Year
Winner of the Books Are My Bag Readers' Choice Award
Winner of Blackwell's Debut Book of the Year
Welcome to 97-hour weeks. Welcome to life and death decisions. Welcome to a constant tsunami of bodily fluids. Welcome to earning less than the hospital parking meter. Wave goodbye to your friends and relationships . . .
Welcome to the life of a junior doctor.
Scribbled in secret after endless days, sleepless nights and missed weekends, comedian and former junior doctor Adam Kay's This Is Going to Hurt provides a no-holds-barred account of his time on the NHS front line. Hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking by turns, these diaries are everything you wanted to know - and more than a few things you didn't - about life on and off the hospital ward. And yes, it may leave a scar.
- Introduction - i: Introduction
- Chapter - 1: House Officer
- Chapter - 2: Senior House Officer Post 1
- Chapter - 3: Senior House Officer Post 2
- Chapter - 4: Senior House Officer Post 3
- Chapter - 5: Registrar Post 1
- Chapter - 6: Registrar Post 2
- Chapter - 7: Registrar Post 3
- Chapter - 8: Registrar Post 4
- Chapter - 9: Senior Registrar
- Chapter - 10: Aftermath
- Section - ii: An Open Letter to the Secretary of State for Health
- Acknowledgements - iii: Acknowledgements